Monday, July 5, 2010

Oil furnace on hiatus

I haven’t posted in a couple of weeks partly due to lack of any real progress (had to start on a new centrifuge bowl), but partly due to other things coming up that need my attention. I’m planning to share one of them here in video format. I filmed a repair job I did on the front axle of my tractor. I’m very frustrated though with either the editing software or the computer not being able to keep up in playing the video while I try to make edits.  Anyway, summer is in full swing around here, and I need to catch up on some other things while I can. The boat and jet ski are out of the pole barn, which means that I now have the room to do some major reorganization. If you’ve studied the backgrounds of the photos and vids I’ve posted, you know I’ve been forsaking neatness quite a bit. Now is the time to regroup.

Though I won’t be working on the furnace project, it does not mean I won’t have stuff to talk about. I mentioned the tractor repair which I hope to bring to you soon, but I also had to do a little bit of transplant surgery on my gas weed trimmer.  A little while back, I made the mistake of buying a heat gun from Harbor Freight. The thermal protection died after the first test! I’m currently figuring out how to wire the heating element from that into the body of a regular blow drier. If I get the wiring right, I can’t see there being much of a problem. The gun was rated at 15oo watts and the hair drier pulls 1600 watts. All a matter of how the heat is distributed I guess. Big plans are brewing at my wife’s office building too. We may finally be getting up the resolve to repaint the exterior. Plus, I’ve begun acquisition of parts to install an underground sprinkler system. Lowe’s had a box of pop up sprinklers on clearance for 75cents each when they were usually $2.17. So I got all the sprinklers I will need for just $6. I’m looking into the possibility of retrofitting an old (30+year) timer/distribution box to use electric solenoids instead of water pressure to open zone valves. I don’t know how farking pleased with myself I’ll be if I can pull THAT one off!:) After that I might try water into wine or a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.:)

Enough dreaming big, I’ve got to get to bed. Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment