Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The weekend putter report

I promised yesterday that I would have things to report from my Sunday at the workshop. First off, I have successfully pumped oil from the ground level up to the storage barrel in the rafters. It was a great display of teamwork. Not from me, but from my two pumps and the fry pan I bought last week.

pumping

As you can see, the fry pan gets the oil up to pumping temperature. Next, the utility sump pump  discharges into the inlet of the shallow well pump, which then pumps the oil up to the holding barrel. I’m kind of wondering now if both are necessary. Neither worked well on their own before, but I was using some of my old garden hose for the job. Since that try, I happened to find a good length of used 3/4” black irrigation pipe at the local Habitat for Humanity Re-store. I’m sure the much larger diameter pipe decreased how hard it was to push the oil.

The centrifuge project is coming along fairly well. I now have a stand to mount a motor and the tub. I’m going to have to do something to keep the centrifuge shaft vertical. The tub body flexes when a belt is put on the pulley. This binds the shaft in it’s bearing, keeping it from turning.

One last thing. Since I have the other six days a week to fill between shop sessions, I do a lot of research. Last week I was searching for other methods for removing the water from oil. I found a page that had an interesting, and cheap, method that would be easy to test. Here’s what happened when I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment