Saturday, May 8, 2010

The ever popular garage sale

My wife and I hit a couple of garage sales yesterday before heading off to see a movie. My wife and I definitely have different objectives at sales like this. She is searching for clothes and toys for our daughter, meanwhile I’m searching for toys for me. Yesterday was no exception. The first stop was a rummage sale at a local church that was to benefit the local animal shelter. Normally there’s a pretty good selection at events like these, but I was sort of underwhelmed. I did however manage to pick this up for a buck.CIMG0003 An old electric fry pan? Yup. I have no intention of making breakfast with it. I have two uses for it in mind.  First, I’m going to cut off most of the sides because they are in my way. I can then use it as a hot plate for heating various things.  Also, from prior experience, I know that I can completely submerge it in oil and use it as a heating element to thin out my used motor oil to make it easier to transfer it via pump. I know it may sound dangerous, but motor oil is non-conductive. As long as the unit is completely submerged it will do what I want it to do without making smoke or shorting out.

My other find of the day wasn’t quite as exciting (yeah, like the readers out there would think the pan was exciting).  I found an outdoor, light up, wire frame snowman. It looks like its missing a light bulb or two, but that’s an easy fix. Should make a good addition to the office Christmas display.

No comments:

Post a Comment