Monday, April 26, 2010

Quick fix for a primer bulb

Today I planned on mowing the lawn. I had also planned on bringing gasket material down from my workshop to fix a gasket that was part of the primer bulb assembly on the mower. I thought, "Aw cr@p! I don't wanna drive across town just to get a proper gasket." Well, what can I do? I looked in the back of the truck and saw that I had a tube of aquarium sealant. (Yes, I have fish) Hmm, this might work for now. I carefully applied the sealant to the missing area of the gasket and put the assembly back together. I pushed the bulb a few times, pulled the cord, and the mower started right up! Is this a long term fix? I kind of doubt it, but it will probably hold up until the next time I do routine maintenance. I would say that one could pull this trick off with any silicone based sealant and achieve the same results.

No comments:

Post a Comment